The Caribbean Policy Development Centre (CPDC) in partnership with the European Union (EU) is undertaking a joint grant partnership. The project “Support to Facilitate Participation of CARIFORUM Civil Society in the Regional Development and Integration Process” seeks to build the capacity of the Non-Governmental Sector in the Caribbean through the implementation of a number of specific actions.
CPDC seeks to address two major limitations within the CARIFORUM civil society which are:
- The lack of capacity to effectively engage the policy process, and
- The lack of an institutionalized mechanism to facilitate dialogue between civil society and CARIFORUM governments.
CARIFORUM membership comprises of the 15 Caribbean Community States, along with the Dominican Republic.
To improve the regional and national CARIFORUM civil society organisations’ (CSOs) effectiveness in regional development and integration processes.
Project Activities Include:
- Building the capacity of CARIFORUM civil society organizations to influence policy dialogue and increase advocacy:
- Creation of CARIFORUM CSO Civil Society Working Group;
- Assessment of the Enabling Environment for CSOs;
- Targeted information campaign on EPA and CSME issues for vulnerable groups; and
- Establish an Institutional base for CARIFORUM Consultative Committee of the EPA.
- CARIFORUM civil society organisations good governance policies enhanced:
- Creation of NGO Good Governance Assessments and Tools; and
- Advocacy Campaign on NGO Legislation.
- Improved access to resources (knowledge, skills, tools, funds) by NGO personnel for more effective engagement in regional development and integration processes:
- Provision of institutional audits and grants to NGOs including vulnerable groups;
- Delivery of NGO Management and Leadership Training Programme;
- CSO Volunteer Youth Recruitment Guide and Campaign; and
- CSO database and knowledge management portal/materials.