The Caribbean Policy Development Centre (CPDC) in partnership with the European Union (EU) undertook a joint grant partnership. The project, “Support to Facilitate Participation of CARIFORUM Civil Society in the Regional Development and Integration Process”, sought to build the capacity of the Non-Governmental Sector in the Caribbean through the implementation of a number of specific actions.
The CPDC addressed two major limitations within the CARIFORUM civil society, which were:
- The lack of capacity to effectively engage the policy process
- The lack of an institutionalized mechanism to facilitate dialogue between civil society and CARIFORUM governments.
To improve the regional and national CARIFORUM Civil Society Organisations’ (CSOs) effectiveness in regional development and integration processes.
Project activities included:
1. Building the capacity of CARIFORUM Civil Society Organisations to influence policy dialogue and increase advocacy:
- Creation of CARIFORUM CSO Civil Society Working Group;
- Assessment of the Enabling Environment for CSOs;
- Targeted information campaign on EPA and CSME issues for vulnerable groups; and
- Establishment of an Institutional base for CARIFORUM Consultative Committee of the EPA
2. CARIFORUM Civil Society Organisations good governance policies enhanced:
- Creation of an NGO Good Governance Assessment and Tool; and
- Advocacy Campaign on NGO Legislation.
3. Improved access to resources (knowledge, skills, tools and funds) by NGO personnel for more effective engagement in regional development and integration processes:
- Provision of institutional audits and grants to NGOs including vulnerable groups;
- Delivery of NGO Management and Leadership Training Programme;
- CSO Volunteer Youth Recruitment Guide and Campaign; and
- CSO database and knowledge management portal/ materials.